Nikon support re: Dynamic AF

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ken G.
Ken G. Veteran Member • Posts: 6,085
Nikon support re: Dynamic AF

I contacted Nikon Support about the Dynamic AF issue a few weeks ago, and we have been doing a bit of back and forth since then. Today I received a message from them stating that they have talked with the corporate office in Japan

"and they let us know that the behavior of Dynamic Area on the D500 should be the same as that on previous cameras. We have, however, changed the display of the focus point for pictures taken with Dynamic Area AF. Previous models would display the focus point chosen by the camera if the subject moved away from the selected point. The D500 and the D5 have been changed to display the focus point initially selected by the photographer instead.

Your original message indicates that your camera does not appear to be moving along to the supplemental points as needed. We'd like to take a look at 2-3 unedited sample images showing the problem. Its important that we receive unedited samples so the meta data remains intact..."

I'm aware of the 1st change they mentioned and, while I think the change was pointless, am not that concerned about it. The 2nd point is the one most here are concerned about.

My image methodology went like this: I took 2 images with each D25, D72, and D153. For each pair of images I used back button focus, keeping it pressed for both shots. First shot on the nearer umbrella, 2nd shot on the brick wall behing it. In all cases, the focus shifted almost immediately to the brick wall.

This seemed to me the best way to show the phenomena in a controlled setting. Is there a better way to do this?

The 6 images:

-- hide signature --

Camera gear in profile.
Ken G.

Ken G.'s gear list:Ken G.'s gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +4 more
Nikon D5 Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow