Rubinar 500mm f5.6 mirror

Started Jan 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
hindesite Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892
Re: Rubinar 500mm f5.6 mirror

dholl wrote:

I've found no threads on this lens. Not surprising as it's almost impossible to use on a Pen (tho' the IS comes in handy).

You need a host camera with a viewfinder, without it you need three hands (the lens is H U G E ).

I took it out for the first time this morning, here's a coupla jpgs (E-P1, ISO 200/250, both 1/200...light pp):

I would say the prerequisites for using this lens on M43 are:

For some reason, your list doesn't appear here, nor can it be pasted.

I don't think your requisites are necessary, and most are rendered unnecessary if you use a tripod or other support - which you should be doing.

I've got 3 mirror lenses, all 500mm f8.0 (Canon, Tamron and the MC 3M-5CA) and I've used them on an old E-P1 which works fine as long as you can set up and take time to adjust focus using magnified view; of course Panasonic makes this far easier, and the viewfinder and focus peaking is nice.

I rarely shoot, and even less often, actually use RAW, and the types of adjustments I make are mainly to contrast, vignetting (which can be bad in mirror lenses) and sharpness. I often tend to a more over processed look, partly because of the subject matter, but also to work around the deficiencies of these lenses - or even to use the same deficiencies to advantage.

IS is effectively irrelevant; pretty ineffective at that length, and handholding and focusing correctly is almost impossible anyway.

Certainly agree about the light, you need lots of it, forget shooting in low contrast situations - but bright highlights can be a real distraction, too.

The Soviet lens is considerably better than the Canon, a short post here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3048053

The Tamron is slightly better than the 3M-5CA. I was able to find a Canon tripod mount that fitted the 3M-5CA, which makes it useful. You do not want to use the camera body to support this lens!

https://plus.google.com/+rjhinde/posts/c3PvA37idDz for an example from this lens.

The Panas don't have IS, and the Olys don't have viewfinders. Does the EP-2 have an external viewfinder not limited to any focal length? --- EDIT: just read about the VF-2...sounds like it's on a par with the GH1 viewfinder ---

Anyone else use the Rubinar monsters? If you have a large mirror lens with cyrillic markings on it then it's probably a Rubinar.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow