Battery grip for a D7000

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bflood Senior Member • Posts: 1,329
Battery grip for a D7000

I've been slowly losing a battle with arthritis for decades, and today I have real difficulty holding and manipulating my D7000 because of my loss of dexterity. I put a grip on my D610 a couple of years ago and it solves the problem completely. I'm ready to put one on my D7000, but I don't want to spend much doing so.

The only thing I want from the grip is the increase in size and grip area it provides. I have no plans to put a battery in it - I haven't used a second battery in the grip on my D610, either. The grip will simply give me a better hold on the camera body/grip assembly.

On Amazon.com I see two grips that look like they could work, but I'd like to test the collective experience of the inhabitants of this forum first.

First, there's a name I've seen here before - Neewer. That model sells for $32.99. The other one is a Powerextra brand ($28.99) - never heard of it before.

Anyone have experience with either of these on a D7000? I'd like to hear of good, bad, or indifferent experiences.

My recollection (not always reliable) includes threads in which people decried the reliability of 3rd party grips, including some that I think did so badly that the grip couldn't be used as it interfered with camera operation. It occurs to me (looking at the pictures on Amazon) that the electrical connection on the grip that extends up into the electrical port on the bottom of the camera could be cut off (plastic only), eliminating any electrical issues. In fact, there would be no way for the camera to know that the grip is attached if that electrical box is gone. I'd like to hear comments on this idea, as well.

bflood's gear list:bflood's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more
Nikon D610 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow