Autofocus questions (live view, viewfinder, etc)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brueghel
Brueghel Contributing Member • Posts: 688
Autofocus questions (live view, viewfinder, etc)

Not being always happy about the sharpness of my photos, I decided to follow photographylife’s quick test for autofocus issues (written by Nassim Mansurov). The equipment first tested is a D7100 with the 16-80 lens tested at max aperture F/3.3, focal length 35mm.

I am not going to post the results given the size of the RAW files but I discovered (by mistake) some strange things (I am uneducated in these matters):

The results with “Focal plane contrast AF” (live view) and “Phase detection AF, single servo AF-S” (view finder) were very close even at 200 % zoom. Hard to distinguish them… That was good news. Ooof my investment in the 16-80 was not a mistake….

But I had perplexing news too: By mistake I took my first shots with Continuous servo, i.e. “Phase detection AF, single servo AF-C”. At 100% the difference could be distinguished with the S version. It took some looking though…. But at 200% the difference is clear the S version has much better focus than the C version.

Wonder how this translates in regular pics. Probably hard to see on a print.

What I find puzzling is that not only is the C version not as good, but the black color is washed out.

Then I tried out the same with the 35mm 1.8. A much loved lens. The results were quite bad. The C version is not as sharp as the S version by far but there is a lot of color aberration (black turning to red…). Pretty sure the difference does show in a print version.

If I did not make a mistake then I can draw a few conclusions:

- If the subject is really still, use Live View!

- If the subject is not moving much, then make sure to use AF-S!

- The much decried 16-80mm DX lens does better at 35mm than its famous little fixed 35mm brother which should not be used with the AF-C setting

- I should study the settings more carefully. May be this will improve the technical quality of my pictures more than buying the (excellent) D7500

Am I discovering well known facts ? Am I making a mistake (or mistakes) somewhere ? Is this to be expected ?

Brueghel's gear list:Brueghel's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon D7100 Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow