Just bought a new camera D5600 and a bit dissapointed

Started Apr 17, 2017 | Discussions thread
trenzterra Contributing Member • Posts: 619
Re: Most

Slimzy wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Slimzy wrote:

.... In the D5600 Im using Auto area focus (which seems to use most focus points when focusing).

That is generally the most inaccurate of the Autofocus Area modes

The P900 obviously has less focus points so seems to find one big focus area.

Thanks for your reply. If I would like everything to be in focus, what do you suggest? I was trying to make the test equal by using the same focusing methods on both cameras (for test purpose).

You cannot have everything in focus. That is one common fallacy. A camera can only focus at one distance at a  time. Even the camera chooses multiple points to focus on, in reality it is choosing between only one of the many points to focus on.

With smaller sensor cameras, this issue is somewhat masked as the depth of field is deeper.  The larger the sensor, the shallower the depth of field. You can try to make more things in focus by dropping the aperture down to f8 and above.

For autofocus, I have learnt to use single point autofocus and navigate the focus point to where I want it to focus. That way, the camera doesn't need to guess for you and it is harder for it to make a mistake.

By the way, when I first got a DSLR, I was blown away by the sharpness of the images even at 100% zoom. So surely there is something wrong with technique, camera or lens.

trenzterra's gear list:trenzterra's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony) +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow