Is there such a thing as a "soft" body?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
firemachine69 Regular Member • Posts: 333
Is there such a thing as a "soft" body?

I'm really curious. The more I shoot my D3, the more I realize it isn't camera shake or slow shutter speed. I did a bunch of DOF focus tests, none ever seem to be as perfectly sharp as my D300, but using the ruler-and-lines-on-an-angle trick, focus accuracy is pretty much perfect (no CA), but yet it still "feels" like the D3 is pumping out softer images than any of my other bodies.

At first I suspected it was my 24-70 (the lens that typically lives on my D3), but after using the 24-70 on my D300 (and D40), I can confirm that the 24-70, while definitely "softer" than my 50/1.8, is not the culprit. Even with my 50/1.8 attached to the D3, the images aren't much to write home about, compared to the D300/50 combo. Even my D300 with the 18-200 produces much sharper images.

For the record, I have sharpening set to seven on both picture control(?), but I don't think it actually has any effect as I shoot in RAW. I did flip up the mirror yesterday to blow off dust, but it looked pretty clean in there even before I dusted it.

firemachine69's gear list:firemachine69's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +5 more
Nikon D3 Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow