Started Apr 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
naththo Contributing Member • Posts: 890
Re: Wide gamut fantasies

Pictus wrote:

digidog wrote:

Pictus wrote:

Chris Noble wrote:

bronxbombers4 wrote:

You can see things as they were instead of going crazy for years wondering why no matter how you tried to light or expose flowers they never looked like in real life.

I'm sorry you're going crazy.

Anyone can move sliders around in PP to push accurately-displayed colors outside the sRGB gamut. Garish saturation, HDR.... It proves strictly nothing.

Look at how much you miss when you use sRGB and clip away TONS and TONS of information that your camera captured.

Nonsense. There are almost no naturally-occurring colors outside the sRGB gamut. A sliver of neon-glowing greens, that occur on the leaves of plants growing under the deep-shade canopies in jungles. Nothing in flowers, sunsets, skintones and the like. Wide gamut is strictly for graphic artists who like to play with "unnatural" colors.

Chris Noble you are wrong.

And often on this subject! Notice zero colorimetric proof; can he even plot the color gamut of images and if so, prove his point?

He probably has no idea that the Cyan patch of the very, very old Macbeth ColorChecker falls out side sRGB color gamut.

Here in Brazil we have a bird named "Saíra Sete Cores"(Tangara seledon), but
we should change the name to "Out of Gamut Bird".
https://youtu.be/Al3Ey3nHtb0

To a more mundane stuff, today(wrong date in the EXIF raw) I took a photo of
a yellow leaf lit by the sun and it is out of sRGB gamut...

The same leaf in the shadow is not.
Visually comparing the sRGB/ARGB versions to the real thing, the sRGB version
is not equal and the ARGB is almost equal, just a bit more saturated than the
real thing when using the default ACR settings...
For anyone interested here the RAW file.

Last night I was editing Kite Festival photos, when I was using ACR photoshop. Then I came across one thing, red was terribly clipped in bright daylight but exposure was perfect. You would never be able to recover clipped red from Sony A7, impossible.

naththo's gear list:naththo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | A +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow