Wacky D500 Lock ON Focus Tracking problem. Lots of pics.

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
billslatteryjr OP Regular Member • Posts: 434
Re: Looks correct to me

Well I tested focus tracking set at 5 along with both medium and erratic on 7 cars going by the front of the house. Best it did shooting bursts at 10FPS was once it held onto the car for what looks like 4 frames or around 4/10sec as the car went behind some shrubs. But most burst had a hold for just 1 or 2 frames count before switching focus or just outright losing any focus. So that's just 1/10 to 1/4 second. The biggest difference from the OP series is that after it lost the car behind the shrub it once went for 3-4 shots past the shrub with nothing in focus at all. When focus tracking was set to the default of 3 and medium, like the OP series, it at least had something, although the wrong thing in focus. Maybe the system doesn't like cars. I'll test it at some games and see what happens there. Shot the 150-600mm Contemporary on the D5 yesterday for over 2500 shots at a spring inter squad football game and noticed nothing like this. But that's football not baseball or softball.

-- hide signature --

"The artist sees what others only catch a glimpse of." Leonardo Da Vinci
http://www.shippensburgsports.com/

billslatteryjr's gear list:billslatteryjr's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Sony a6300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow