Some examples that show why a wide gamut monitor matters:

Started Apr 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 13,189
Re: Wide gamut fantasies

IanYorke wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

to put it into some kind of perspective, there is the reality that 99.999% of all photos are viewed within sRGB.

Even if so, how does it matter?

Suppose 99.999% of all the music is reproduced through a pair of crappy earbuds connected to a $0.5 player chip, where the difference difference between a 128 kbps and a 320 kbps recording, let alone a 128 kbps and a lossless recording is impossible to notice. Should the master be also recorded at 128 kbps?

Suppose, again, 99.999% of monitors are sRGB. That's today. What about in 15 years?

Chill. My point was that people rave about their Images and the fact that some of them could look slightly different if printed or viewed on a large gamut monitor is actually not significant

You own such a wide gamut display? Define not significant (for those of us who wish to see colors outside sRGB).

Some people rave about McDonalds hamburgers and Spam and eggs; doesn't mean its something I'd eat by choice nor does it dismiss the rubbish Chris posted about color gamut (images and sRGB)!

Your analogy with music is flawed because you are not comparing similar situations. sRGB is a standard, you have no standard for headphones just different grades.

At one time, horse shoes were the standard accessary for a mode of transportation. Leaving the Amish aside, not too useful today.

As a side issue in Hifi dynamic range used to be considered vital but these days the source recordings are all Compressed to hell to make them have more "impact" so they sound good on cheap headphones.

Not my area of expertise but ALL recordings fall into that camp (the MacDonalds syndrome of sound)? Difficult to believe but if you’ve got some outside references to back that up, I’ll have learned something about ‘modern’ sound recordings.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Rodney
Author: Color Management for Photographers
The Digital Dog
http://www.digitaldog.net

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow