Backyard Red-Tailed? Hawk

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
arniebook Regular Member • Posts: 467
Backyard Red-Tailed? Hawk

I think this is a Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk … can someone confirm or re-identify for me?

The Bluebirds in my backyard are busy making little bluebirds and I am busy trying to capture some parenting moments. But this morning I was surprised by this Hawk. Expecting perched Bluebirds, I was truly not ready when it flew into a pine tree about 120ft. from me. With my 200-500 set at 200mm I was going to make sure I got something before it bolted, intending to zoom in to 500 once I did. But he saw me raise my camera and immediately took off … so all of my shots were at 210mm as I did not have time (or experience) to zoom and shoot as it flew off.

This is about a 60% crop ...

I barely got it in the frame, but the clipped wing does not bother me ... using Group-area AF with a3 set to 3 and erratic (for the nearly impossible "bluebird in flight").

Getting fed a big breakfast ...

-- hide signature --

What we spend on this stuff is equal to the depth of our pockets squared ($²) times (x) what we justify in our minds as to what we expect to do with our pictures plus (+) the enjoyment we experience from using our stuff and sharing the result ... $²(E(X)+ )=$xxxx

arniebook's gear list:arniebook's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +1 more
Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow