D3 or which body for $1000, low noise at high ISO, quick AF wanted

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Anders_Nilsson New Member • Posts: 8
D3 or which body for $1000, low noise at high ISO, quick AF wanted

Hi!

I have a NEX-6 and an a99v. Both are very good for most things. but low light high ISO is not one of those things. How is the D3 compared to modern mirrorless like a6300, a6500, a7 Mk2 etc in terms of AF speed and accuracy in low light and also noise levels at high ISO. I'm talking about shots at sunset or lower light levels. I will not climb mountains or walk around for the whole day with this kit so weight is not a high priority.

Technical quality with 12MP will be plenty good enough for my purposes. Main use of the camera will be taking pictures of my toddler running around, playing etc in low light (e g f4 at 1/30-1/60 at ISO 800). The a99 is rather crappy at ISO 800 already and my main need is for something with better noise and still quick AF. And I sure would like to be able to crank ISO up to where I can shoot at 1/125th or so. AF accuracy is a priority, major reason for this question is the number of out of focus shots I get.

I have thought about buying a better E mount camera or better Zeiss glass but Sony Zeiss glass seems expensive compared to old Nikkors and A mount future seems uncertain with not many recent offerings and rumor that Sigma will drop it. i have no need for new and usually buy my stuff second hand.

I am willing to change direction and buy a Nikon kit for low light applications if this will give a clear benefit. Lens could be an old 35-70 2.8 or a 28-85 since absolute technical quality is not the issue here, lower noise and more secure AF are my issues. For dawn-to-daylight-to-dusk applications i will probably continue using my Sonys since they give wonderful colors and i like the user interface. And the NEX is so conveninent to drop in a pocket which a D3 will probably never be.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D3 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow