Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 AF II DG HSM - 630$ (for A99 II) worth it?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
minoltatron Contributing Member • Posts: 654
Re: Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 AF II DG HSM - 630$ (for A99 II) worth it?

lehill wrote:

Hemanth Annavarapu wrote:

Hello

I have been searching for some wide angle options for my A99 II. I came across an used Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 AF II DG HSM for 630$. Before I go ahead with the purchase, I wanted to get some expert advice. I tried the lens and I really like the huge wide angle I am getting with it. Nothing really special about the varying aperture and it obviously doesn't support the Hybrid AF. But I am really not at a level where I can perfectly judge the lens.

Is this lens good? and is the price worth it? If not this lens, what other options do we have for wide angle for the A99 II? My budget is around 700$.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

There's a great website called Dyxum.com specifically for Sony A- & E-mount shooters. Their lens database is the place to go to get user ratings, user sample photos, user comments on just about any lens ever made for Minolta/Sony A- and E-mount.

For you, do a lens search for Full-frame A-mount zooms between, say, 10-30mm focal length range sorted by user score. 4 lenses popped up for me. Sigma made two Sigma 12-24mm lenses. One is near the top of the list so it's a darn good lens, the other is further down but still decent.

I always refer to this database when searching for lenses. For me, anything that scores less than 4 (out of 5) gets crossed off my list, greater than 4.5 stays on my list.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

Only 2 lenses if current, two of the Sigma's are Discontinued.

So it's Sigma 12-24 F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM or Tamron 15-30 F2.8 SP Di USD.

I got the Tamron and it's rated higher than the Sigma and 3 years newer design, and faster. However 12-15mm does make it noticeable less wide.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow