Nikon d3300: Is this photo normal?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tommy48 Junior Member • Posts: 35
Nikon d3300: Is this photo normal?

Can anyone tell me if the following photos are normal? The first two photos were taken using the kit 18-55mm VRII at 18mm. One was taken using Live View and the other OVF. Should I expect the OVF shot to be sharper?

The second set was taken with the 55-200mm VRII lens. The OVF photo looks good when compared to the shot taken in Live View, but upon enlargement you can see a difference. The same question: Should I expect the OVF to focus better?

In both sets, I used manual exposure and the settings are the same for both Live View and OVF. The camera was on a tripod and I used the shutter timer to try to minimize shake.

One other question: The Live View shots seem to be properly exposed, but the OVF shots look a little over-exposed. In fact, the OVF exposure scale says that it is getting about 2/3 EV more exposure than Live View. Is this normal or should they be the same?

I know they both look identical below, but the difference becomes apparent upon enlargement.

Thanks for any comments.

18-55mm VRII@18mm - Live View

18-55mm VRII@18mm- Viewfinder mode (Non Live View)

55-200mm VRII @200mm - Live View

55-200mm VRII @200mm - Viewfinder (Non Live View)

Nikon D3300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow