ZEISS Batis 2.8/135 APO [ $1,999.00 ] is officially announced...

Started Apr 5, 2017 | Discussions thread
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 4,480
Re: ZEISS Batis 2.8/135 APO [ $1,999.00 ] is officially announced...

joger wrote:

landshark wrote:

. . . For me manual focus is a waste of time on most lenses if accurate and fast AF is available. Manually focused for over 30 years of my photo career see little point in it now, so for me I could care less how the focus by wire feels on the Batis but if manual focus is what one wants, enjoy what you like.

Just finished a wedding shooting last weekend - AF was in some situations no option since the AF did not work up to my expectations - especially on faces with people wearing glasses and in dimmer situations at night.

I really enjoyed the much more precise way of MFing on the f/1.4 50 and 85 Sony lenses. The videographer (hired additionally for this event) had a Batis line up - mainly because of the lower weight for the gimbal. He tried my Sony lenses and literally freaked out about the precision of the MF

I am a big fan of AF when it makes sense - yet it malfunctions even on the best cameras too many times in my experience. The individual mile age may vary and/or the sense for perfection. AF is not delivering what I want on any camera I've ever tested - MFing is key for me to have wide open the utmost precision. Eye-AF fortunately helps a lot but it is still not so good that I could live without a good enough MF and when I start to MF I really enjoy real MF instead of focus by wire - the fast Sony AF lenses are quite close to a real MF - close enough to not dislike them too much - the Batis lenses are too far off for my taste - let's see how the new 135 will perform - I will rent it anyway when available. Have the 100 STF on pre order for renting too.

I always like to understand what works and what not - to date no Batis worked for me good enough - especially taking the price into account. The Loxias from the same company are more my kind of understanding of perfection. (especially in stations where the AF malfunctions by design)

I'm not sure what to say about your comments that you have not been happy with the AF from any camera and that it malfunctions often.  I'm very happy with my Sony gear and both my Batis and Loxia lenses but when I think of AF performance in low light I clearly give the nod to my Canon 1DX and 5D Mark IV. If you really want AF you might want to consider a different system. I don't have any experience but its my understanding the the Nikon D500 also has stellar AF performance. Sony is doing much better but my DSLRs have always focused faster. On the Sony though I've really come to love the Eye-AF capability and find it very accurate.

I agree that a pure MF lenses can be great. I certainly own enough of them but true MF lenses like Loxia will always be designed with a greater throw for focusing than any AF lens in MF mode, even ones like Canon's that are full MF capable (with helicoids and not focus by wire) since they have much shorter throws to make the AF quick.

Steve W

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a9 Sony a7R III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow