New to MAC and confused!!

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Veteran Member • Posts: 9,024
Re: New to MAC and confused!!

bombhead wrote:

Evening all,

Long story short,fed up with Windows and it's foibles,etc

I want to change to MAC OS. I have chosen the 27" 5K system. I have a few questions before I spend my money. hopefully you can all help me?

I looked at the 21.5" 4K but the the system upgrades are limited.

4K really doesn't make much difference on such a small screen anyway. Might as well get standard def.

I use a Canon 7D MkII and shoot mainly RAW file, still pictures, and some short length video.

I am hoping to run Lightroom 6 or the Adobe CC..

Regarding the Mac OS, I have chosen the I5 3.2Ghz 8GB RAM.

Do I go for the following?

a/ 2TB Fusion drive or the 512 GB SSD, what are the pros and cons?

I haven't used a Fusion Drive, so can't compare. I went for a 512GB SSD before Fusion Drives hit the scene. The SSD makes a huge difference over a standard spinning HD, such that I wouldn't even consider going back.

To make the most of the limited space, I partition the SSD to 150GB for OS & apps, remainder for a "Data" partition, where I keep my Aperture and Lighrtroom Libraries and Catalogs (SSD really speeds up access). My master image files are stored on fast (RAID 0) external drives. Keeping the boot partition small speeds up cloning and restoring when needed, minimizes the space needed for Time Machine backups, and lets me keep clones and Time Machine backups on leftover small drives.

b/ 1TB Fusion ( factory fit ) and upgrade to 16GB RAM.

My feeling is that 16GB RAM helps a bit vs. 8GB, though recent versions of OS X now make better use of limited RAM.

Will I be able to use my Spyder Monkey to calibrate the screen,is this a option worth doing?

Should be able to. Check version compatibility if your Monkey is more than a few years old. Better yet, ask the manufacturer.

-- hide signature --

If you think digital is hard, try slide film.
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +29 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow