ZEISS Batis 2.8/135 APO [ $1,999.00 ] is officially announced...

Started Apr 5, 2017 | Discussions thread
landshark Contributing Member • Posts: 746
Re: ZEISS Batis 2.8/135 APO [ $1,999.00 ] is officially announced...

joger wrote:

landshark wrote:

I am looking forward to this lens arriving, from all accounts so far it is optically stunning, the size is reasonable, the aperture is fine for my use, I do want a well made lens that has autofocus, I have zero desire to use adapters(own one for nikon lenses), zero desire to only manual focus( did that for more years than I care to remember and still own a number of manual focus film cameras), not thrilled but have gotten use to no aperture ring, do not want to carry the 80-200 around, would I like it to be cheaper sure, but it is an APO. This should be the last lens for my Sony's unless they bring out a 300 or 400. Do I miss the fact that it is not an F2 or faster, not really, I would not want it to be that much heavier or larger.

Mine is on order, hopefully here next month, will let all know how it shoots.

I have zero desire for another bulky and slow lens and I have zero desire to use any kind of zoom on my A7RM2.

I would hardly call F2.8 slow on any Tele

AF on fast primes is extremely welcome and MF on slower and smaller primes is very acceptable for me - I have two lens lines - one for situations where AF is desperately needed and one of situations where MF makes utterly sense.

Agree manual on super wides works just as well as af

I have also two cars - one for traveling and one for fun - the Batis lenses seem to be the family van that is supposed to be spacey but neither very fast nor very agile in handling - I guess this describes it best.

Would hardly describe them as family vans, I have three cars one to drive fast for fun, one to be practical and travel with dogs and family and one for off road expeditions. I like having the right tool for the job at hand, For me manual focus is a waste of time on most lenses if accurate and fast AF is available. Manually focused for over 30 years of my photo career see little point in it now, so for me I could care less how the focus by wire feels on the Batis but if manual focus is what one wants, enjoy what you like.

Of course I am happy for everybody that desires a family van - not my cup of tea though

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

-- hide signature --

Bob
www.bobdamico.com

landshark's gear list:landshark's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Ricoh GR II Sony RX1R II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow