Rolling review of X-A3 IQ

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RobertMachin Regular Member • Posts: 231
Rolling review of X-A3 IQ

Got my X-A3 today in the mail (and the XF 50mm f/2). As promised I will compare it with my X-Pro2, but to also later to the Sony A6000.

I don't need to tell you that there is a major difference in build quality. That it feels 1 or 2 generations behind in terms to UI, responsiveness, and AF (feels very much like my X-E1). It's no surprise given the price difference.

I'm here to talk sensor IQ.

Over here:

https://spideroak.com/browse/share/JimmySharing/fgfgsgkgskdof54g5f4gd4gdfg544447778g8gtrtry555543tg435tg54/dpreview/

You will find 6 test scenes that I shot both the X-A3 and the X-Pro2 using the same lens each time.

At the bottom of the post i will attach my 2 renderings of test5 and 6 using lightroom for those not interested in developing the RAW themselves.

First observations:

- exposure values are not the same for the two cameras surprisingly (same SS, same aperture and ISO does not yield the same brightness), and make the test a bit more difficult...

- Auto WB does not work the same at all...and I will say the X-A3 w. balance seems much more accurate and pleasing..

- IQ results in Lightroom seems very close. I have the impression that the Fuji bayer does not sharpen like the Sony bayer (the bayer example I have experience with). I will need to compare them later to get this straight.

- not sure how the film simulation compare yet

test 5 & test 6 developed with LR...

test 5 X-A3

test 5 X-Pro 2

test 6 X-A3

test 6 X-Pro 2

will update the post as I discover more....

RobertMachin's gear list:RobertMachin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6000 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +11 more
Fujifilm X-A3 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow