Long lens for OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Started Mar 17, 2017 | Discussions thread
OP elsier Regular Member • Posts: 410
Re: I have the E-M1 II and the PL 100-400...Great!

gary0319 wrote:

The more I use this combination the better I like it, for almost everything.

I had the E-M1.1 and the Panny 100-300 as my birding kit and it was pretty good for static birds, but sucked big time for Bifs (really slow focus motors on the lens) I replaced the 100-300 with the PL100-400, and the slow focusing was gone, but the lack of cross type PDAF made locking onto Bifs, a real challenge. Replaced the E-M1 with the mark 2 and wow, just wow. A really great match.........now the fun begins.

Not only is shooting Bifs now a reality, but shooting bugs and insects for pseudo macro (focusing at 4 feet with an 800mm equiv. lens gets you pretty close) with little lens hunting is another step up.

But.....the icing on the cake was last weeks trip to our state rodeo. Here's where the zoom of the 100-400, and the low noise and C-AF of the E-M1 II really comes into play. The action at a rodeo is fast and erratic and the C-AF of the E-M1 II kept up without a hitch. I shot over 3,700 jpeg images at electronic low burst 18 frames per second, with the lens wide open at between 150 and 200 mm, at 1/2000 sec and auto ISO. The 2x DOF factor allowed the wide open lens to capture more than enough detail while keeping the ISO to about 500, and below for most shots. My keeper rate was amazing.

But the best part, even being jammed shoulder to shoulder into the bleacher seats the silent electronic shutter allowed me to shoot those 3,700 images with nary a sound being heard by my seat mates...........and no evidence of rolling shutter.

Here's one example.

Wow -- and thanks for your honest take!

-- hide signature --

Elsie
'The more I want to get something done, the less I call it work.' - R.B.

elsier's gear list:elsier's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Olympus E-M1 II +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow