Just got my first Fuji... Now I need a lens

Started Apr 4, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
saman13 New Member • Posts: 15
Just got my first Fuji... Now I need a lens

Hi all, I was hoping for a bit of lens advice.

I just received a used X-T1 with a vertical battery grip in GREAT condition as a gift from it's original owner. This is not only my first Fuji  but my first digital camera in general, and now I need some glass!

A little background, I am a student with a tight budget, so I will probably only be able to afford one lens for now. I started off shooting film exclusively with my first setup being a Nikon EM and the 50mm series E lens. That is all I shot with for over a year. Now I have a 24mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8, and an 80-200 4. I've already ordered an adapter to shoot these manual focus lenses on this new camera (good glass is good glass) but I realize that it will get frustrating and that I will want a dedicated Fuji lens in order to get the most out of the system.

Common sense says that if I only get one lens, the 18-55 2.8-4 is the right choice. I've shot with this lens before on both the X-T1 and X-Pro1 (all on loan from my professor) and I loved it. Sharp lens, good image quality, very useful focal length for me. I shoot just about everything: landscapes, nature, portraits of friends, etc. So, I was pretty set on this zoom.

But then! I shot with the 35mm 1.4. I don't know what it was about this lens, but I enjoyed the images from it so much more than the zoom. Just great IQ and the bokeh is killer. In the end, I shoot for fun so my enjoyment of the lens is pretty important. Plus, B&H is having a student discount on the lens right now: $400, brand new. This is about the cost of the zoom used.

So, while I would definitely get use from the 18 side for landscapes and the 55 side for closeups, I'm still leaning towards the 35. I shot for over a year with nothing but a normal focal length and I got along just fine. In fact I made my favorite images with that lens. As I write this I've almost convinced myself, but would I regret restricting myself to the 35 as my only focal length? I realize that I'm the only one that can make that call, but I'd like some advice from people that may have started out with only one lens.

Thanks for the help!

saman13's gear list:saman13's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow