Sigma 24-105 - Bad Copy?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Slick Fork Regular Member • Posts: 497
Sigma 24-105 - Bad Copy?

So... I got my Sigma 24-105 last night and had a few minutes to play around with it before I had to go back to work. Unfortunately, the more I looked at the very few samples I got with it the less impressed I am for an $1100 CDN (after tax) lens. After all the hype I expected more.

They're not exactly common so I'd like some thoughts before I return it.

I've been testing pretty much exclusively with it wide open as one of the deciding factors in purchasing it were Doug's comments on how sharp it was at F4, I don't think I'm getting that sharpness. Is my methodology off?

Here are a few samples, good and bad. See comments in the captions for my thoughts on the individual photos. Light wasn't great, but it wasn't what I'd consider "bad" either.

Check out the fringing on the branches - Not sure if I'm quite happy with the sharpness either

Focus grabbed the Frisbee instead of the dog - could be user error as well but this happened on all my shots of him outside.

This one seems to be a decent one

Throwing this one in as a quick and dirty front/back focus check. Focal point was the grid in the centre of the screen - seemed ok.

Focal point on the green leaves - Initially I was happy with this test but I got to thinking about why it selected, in good light, ISO 3200...

Focal point here was the chimney. Very soft photo, it was a nice cold evening so no potential for heat distortion.

Slick Fork's gear list:Slick Fork's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow