M43 size/weight advantage fading?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dmokn Junior Member • Posts: 37
M43 size/weight advantage fading?

I recently laid hands on a Nikon D5600 and was taken aback by how light the body was. As a longtime GX7 user who will eventually upgrade, I don't think I could see myself going to a camera with a big VF hump, but I compared several on camerasize.com to just help me think through the current landscape a bit. Some caveats to all of this:

• I have several lenses for my GX7, but I'd say the Oly 17mm 1.8 spends the most time on it, so I'm comfortable with the 35mm EFL. That's the basis for the inclusions below. Just my taste, so obviously big zooms change things.
  • The 17 replaced the Panny 20mm, which along with my 12-32, are probably the only two lenses that make my camera realistically pocketable in a jacket. I do throw the camera and 17 in sometimes, but it's pushing it. So if I can't pocket it, is size as important?...
  • These comparisons are of course not apples to apples, so take this all with a grain of salt... especially the Nikon, about which I don't know enough to find a reasonably small 35mm EFL lens, so I chose another popular one. Again, I KNOW this is not a precise comparison.

So here's what I found:

• LX100: 393 grams
  • X100F: 469 g
  • GX7 w/17mm 1.8: 522 g
  • GX85 w/17mm: 546 g
  • GX8 w/17mm: 607 g
  • Fuji X-T20 w/23mm f/2: 563 g
  • Nikon D5600 w/35mm 1.8: 665 g
  • Images with sizes here

I'm not sure what conclusions to draw from this, but I was particularly surprised to see the weight (and frankly, the size) of the GX85 and the Fuji so close. (The X-E2s is even lighter but I felt like the features weren't as competitive with the M43 offerings.) Clearly the Nikon will lose both on volume and on lens weights, but the body is actually lighter than the GX8.

Starting as I did years ago with an E-PL2 and 20mm, I feel like the gap between that and a contemporary DSLR was huge. Maybe that gap is starting to shrink? Maybe I need to reconsider getting an LX100...

dmokn's gear list:dmokn's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow