AF Microadjust for 100-400mm lens

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 15,460
Re: AF Microadjust for 100-400mm lens

gscotten wrote:

The Canon guide says to "maintain a distance that is the same as when normally shooting." In my case that is also further than practical with long lenses. I agree with the FoCal instructions. Fortunately my 400mm doesn't need any adjustment.

-- hide signature --

George

I know but they also say 50x. The manual also says not normally needed and may cause focusing problems. I had two Canon USA techs tell me MFA is or emergencies only.

I'm not against MFA but I have never been comfortable with all the methods over the years. Tuning to the normal shooting distance makes the most sense but again at times not practical. If I were shooting in the studio at 8 ft all day then great. That is why I adopted FoCal and use their suggested minimum distances. It is the only method that actually gives an explanation about the distance.

I don't worry about small amounts but if the lens or camera is out a lot it goes to Canon. My 70-200 2.8 II needed +13 at 200mm. Canon found a mis-calibrated board. All my Canon gear is and has been within +-5 which is kind if my personal limit.

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow