Audio Not Recording on A6500 After Reaching Limit

Started Mar 27, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Carl Crumley
Carl Crumley Regular Member • Posts: 364
Audio Not Recording on A6500 After Reaching Limit

I'm just starting to use my new A6500 and today I'm doing some video recording tests. I'm recording HD (not 4K) and of course the camera stops recording after 29 minutes and 59 seconds. If I hit the video record button again it starts recording video again, but no audio. I've tested it three times with the same result.

Interestingly, if I power the camera down and then back on, when I push the record button both video and audio are recorded using the camera's internal microphone. However, if I have an external microphone plugged in (my Rode lavalier) it still doesn't record audio.

Even more puzzling is when I restart the camera without the external microphone plugged in and it is recording audio with the internal microphone, I can then plug the external microphone in and it then picks up audio from the external microphone.

So, I've found that if I record video with an external microphone for 30 minutes and the recording stops, I have to power the camera off and unplug the external microphone before powering it back on and starting the next 30 minutes of video recording. Once it begins the next 30 minutes of video recording and I can then plug in the external microphone and begin using it again.

Odd. Any thoughts on why this is?

Carl (Rochester, New York)

Carl Crumley's gear list:Carl Crumley's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Rylo Camera Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC +3 more
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow