Long fast Olympus glass in the future?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
the craftsman New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Long fast Olympus glass in the future?

sirharold wrote:

Nico the story of the build quality of the 300mm and the 90-250mm are a work of art. One of our forum members worked on the design and building these pair. Cost wasn't an issue of the R&D and only top quality material was used in building the lens. I guess in today's world to reduce weight plastic would be used. I would hope that the new 300mm would last 15+ years but probably not. I could be wrong my wife always tell me I am.

keep shooting

i completely agree. the overall quality of the 300mm and 90-250mm which i both have is impeccable. i am a wild bird photographer in the philippines and both lenses, which i pair with my by now old venerable em1 mk1, have magnificently endured all that humid tropical wild bird photography can offer - dunks in the rice fields, nerve-wracking and nail-biting falls from moving vehicles and gullies, shooting through the mist of waterfalls, dust and sand baths, even in a strong typhoon. aside from outstanding image quality, these lenses are built like tanks and if only for that, i don't mind lugging 4-5 kilos of gear including the em1, the mmf3 adaptor and the 1.4x extender. these are still my best 'dude birding' (from inside the car) gear. that, plus the additional benefit of having 420mm with the 1.4x extender and still have f4 max aperture (or 600mm with 2x extender for f5.6 max) just makes all the extra weight more than worth it. i expect these geriatric lenses to last at least my lifetime.

fred s

-- hide signature --

o t l,
b t pl,
u t sqr.

the craftsman's gear list:the craftsman's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 90-250mm 1:2.8 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow