Mounting camera into a camera trap box

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 24,735
Re: Mounting camera into a camera trap box

If you only have a limited set of tools, you could put a quick release on the base of the box with a slide plate, and use the slide plate to adjust the camera + lens.  You would attach the quick release with screws through the bottom of the box. Here two from ebay:

If you make the back of your box removable, you can slide the camera out with it on the plate, and then remove the plate to change batteries/memory card.

If you have a woodworking shop with a router, I imagine you could do:

• Make two parallel cuts in the bottom of your box.
  • Then put a 1/2" piece of plywood under the camera.
  • Drill a 1/4" hole for the tripod socket screw (I would drill a 1/2" or 3/4" hole about 1/4" down in the wood, so that the 1/2" screw is flush with the bottom of the wood).
  • Drill holes in your wood to match the parallel cuts in the base of the box.
  • Add 2 1" or longer screws with wingnuts that fit through your plywood, and the bottom of the box.
  • Add a wooden stop peg or piece of wood in front of the camera to prevent it from twisting.
  • Have removable back.  Or have the side removable, and just have the back long enough that you can slide the camera out and then remove it.

A simpler alternative might be use the router to make a 1/4" cut in the base, and then use an appropriate sized 1/4-20" screw to anchor the camera, and undo the screw to adjust position or remove the camera. I suspect it may be hard to get it tight enough to lock the camera in place with only one screw.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus TG-860 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow