Nikon Reports $50B Yen Loss

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Philnw2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,089
Re: just look at Nikon's balance sheet

justmeMN wrote:

What baffles me, is that in Japan-only, Canon is totally crushing Nikon in DSLR market share, 63.3% to 31.6%.

"Whether that's due to price, product, or promotion I can't say for sure, but something isn't working, and it's not working right in front of Nikon management's eyes." -Thom Hogan

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikons-slow-failure-in.html

I don't see anything particularly wrong with Nikon's DSLRs themselves, so it must be something else.

Maybe its a combination of factors.  But if you look at that chart in your link, not only Nikon had a larger drop in 2016, but Pentax as well.  Both companies get sensors from Sony.  But combine the earthquake damage to sensor production in 2016, combined with some past Nikon quality problems, plus Nikon's over reliance on large FF cameras - and Canon wins.   Of more concern, Canon is investing in mirrorless via their M series, and its paying off in their mirrorless sales.  Its a strategy game, and Canon seems to make better long-term decisions - at least in the smaller camera sizes.  It used to be that FF cameras were about 10% of the ILC market.  It would be interesting to know how Canon and Nikon compare in just the FF market.

-- hide signature --

Phil B

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow