Are we kidding ourselves that we are better than we are?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Shockwave Senior Member • Posts: 1,417
Re: Are we kidding ourselves that we are better than we are?

JS Burnie wrote:

nixda wrote:

Stflbn wrote:

Because a large percentage of photographers are more concerned about the technology than they are the creative art of shooting. So they spend their time worrying about noise at 1:1 at 3200 iso rather than being out shooting something interesting.

And a large percentage of those concerned with technology land here on dpreview and other review blogs and sites.

And that is great, because this forum is primarily a gear forum that is focused on technology. Technology is crucial for getting a lot of shots,

+1 And I find it interesting too. I appreciate and laud your efforts in the forum for helping people understand ISO, dynamic range and noise.

like poster-sized landscape panoramas, high-DR scenes, just to name two examples. Not everyone is interested in taking pictures of that old woman looking funny somewhere or of their cats. These "interesting" street shots and cat pictures can stay somewhere else, IMO.

Heresy! And I agree completely.

Those who complain that people here spend too much time on the technological underpinnings of their tools and should instead be out shooting more should get out and shoot more instead of hanging around this forum where people discuss their tools.

Well said.

True, but as an example, if someone says the D750's IQ is better than the XT2, the question I have is "so what",  it's like saying your Lamborghini is faster than my Ferrari when we're both driving in a city where the speed limit is 60km/h and it makes no difference.

when someone says the IQ is better at base ISO, can anyone show me a photo that IQ at base ISO was a limiting factor?

-- hide signature --

https://www.instagram.com/theoverratedphotographer/
Fuji XT-2, Fuji X-E2, XF16-55mmF2.8 R LM WR, XF50-140mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR, XF23mmF2 R WR, XF35mmF2 R WR, XF90mmF2 R LM WR, XF60mm F2.4

Shockwave's gear list:Shockwave's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow