Voigtlander 42.5mm f/0.95 versus Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2

Started Mar 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
ijm5012 Senior Member • Posts: 1,505
Re: Voigtlander 42.5mm f/0.95 versus Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2

skatemurai wrote:

ijm5012 wrote:

Are you going to be trying to do any focus movement while recording, or just setting the focus, locking it, and then shooting?

If you're going to be trying to pull off focus pulls and what not, get the Nokton. The manual focus is smooth and consistent every time, leading to more consistent results.

I want to do both fly-by-wire manual focus is that bad on Leica?

If you do focus pulls, then yes it's that bad. Typically you want to do a slow focus pull, and would turn the focus ring slowly to achieve that on the Voigtlander. However on the PanaLeica, when you turn is slowly the focus position barely moves. Yet if you turn it quickly, it will go from MFD to Infinity with very little rotation.

It makes it very difficult to pull off exact focus pulls. I'm not saying that it's not possible, but it's nowhere near the Voigtlander. The downside to this when shooting a wedding is that you can simply ask the bride/groom to "go back and do that again, I messed up the focus pull".

You've created multiple threads across multiple forums asking the same questions, and have gotten a number of answers. You simply need to buy a lens at this point and start using it. If you don't like it, then just sell it and buy the other instead. It really should not require weeks worth of thinking and numerous threads to decide which one of these two lenses to purchase.

ijm5012's gear list:ijm5012's gear list
Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow