I am the only one to find jpeg junk?

Started Mar 20, 2017 | Discussions thread
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 18,268
Re: RAF vs JPEG example

Jerry-astro wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

I'm not sure why one would take raw data and turn it into a jpeg as the final output. Even so, I'm not sure it's as difficult as all that. Camera controls are fairly coarse and displays small, so it's very hard to dial in the exact settings that will make the image the way you want it.

Umm, so exactly what would you produce as the final output? For the most part my own PP starts with a RAW image and ends up with a JPG, or did I completely misread/misunderstand that statement?

Tif or psd generally. This is what I've generally sent to separators and service bureaus.

But I should clarify. If you want the highest quality, psd or tif are the easiest ways to ensure that. This was the context I had in mind. So yea, I put out jpgs from time to time if the need justifies it.

And if one chooses the highest quality with no compression, jpegs can be pretty good. If not done a side by side test of such a file and a tif.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
PT
(unknown member)
PT
PT
PT
PT
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow