How do I do street portraits?

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Chris Gouge
Chris Gouge New Member • Posts: 4
Re: How do I do street portraits?

Begin by giving them a compliment.  There must have been a reason why that person caught your eye and led you to want to ask them so just say to them 'I really like your hat, or hair or whatever it is and then ask if you can make a quick portrait with them."

Also go to places where people are more likely to say yes like markets or touristy places and to increase your confidence approach people who have an eccentric look.  These people generally like the attention and will LOVE to have their photos taken.

Once you start approaching people and asking them you will probably find that it is a lot easier than you imagined.  I done a street photography workshop with Eric Kim last year where we did just this and one of the challenges he gave us was to approach people and to actually try and get people to say no.  So approaching people we thought would say no, like people who look angry etc and the challenge was to get 10 no's.  what we all found was that it was actually very difficult to get 10 people to say no as most people are actually up for it!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow