I am the only one to find jpeg junk?

Started Mar 20, 2017 | Discussions thread
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 12,549
Re: I am the only one to find jpeg junk?

michaeladawson wrote:

This is why I don't even bother shooting JPEG. I did when I bought my first DSLR over 15 years ago. But I didn't know much then. I shoot exclusively RAW now. Except with Fuji, where I shoot RAW + JPEG, but only because I want the ability to zoom in on the camera LCD.

Did your other cameras allow you to zoom-in with just Raw?

In my mind there is little merit in shooting JPEG and then doing post processing.

Most applications do not require a 6000x4000 pixel image, so if you edit JPEG vs Raw, how much difference does it make? In both cases you are downsampling. Personally I prefer the appearance of a "watercolor" JPEG versus the "crunchy" pixel noise of a Raw conversion, when both are downsampled more than 67%.

If you have DxO Optics Pro in Prime mode, high ISO noise might be less than the JPEG, but I suspect (?) that is the only Raw converter with this capability. RAF not supported!

I use Photoshop/ACR and I don't use Fuji film simulations. If you know your software it is really no more effort to shoot RAW than it is to shoot JPEG if you are going to make post processing changes. So if you're going to post process every image I don't see any advantage to shooting JPEG.

JPEG takes up much less space, is faster to browse, is a durable ISO standard, and does not require paid-for software. All of those are significant advantages, especially "less space" in the cloud computing era (if we are in it).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
PT
(unknown member)
PT
PT
PT
PT
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow