Can I down Res on a Nikon d800 without changing the crop factor

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
davev8
davev8 Senior Member • Posts: 2,653
Re: Can I down Res on a Nikon d800 without changing the crop factor

utihomes wrote:

I'm considering purchasing this camera for some wide angle use (14-16mm). I'll be shooting architecture & landscaping. If I changed the resolution down to Large (20MP) will this change my crop factor? Or in other words, will this change my field of view and make it not as wide?

I know I can always decrease the resolution in post afterward, but I will be emailing the RAW images to a friend that will be editing them for web display only; so I don't need the full 36MP. In fact, my concern is that the RAW images are over 75MB, and it takes too long to upload to the cloud.

I know I could get an APS-C camera, but I want the quality of full-frame; even if the final result is only web-display.

Will down-resing crop the field of view?

maybe you would be better off with a camera with a less MP count...like the D750..or D610

i would say my 12 year old  full frame 12.8MP Canon 5Dmki is overkill for web display ..its raw file size is around 11 or 12MB

-- hide signature --

My 5D IS a MK1 classic

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Minolta DiMAGE Xi Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Nikon D70s +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow