New Dad Indoor Setup?

Started Mar 20, 2017 | Discussions thread
MolecularMan Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: New Dad Indoor Setup?

FooHead wrote:

Is there a general rule of thumb? Is bounce flash better, is fast zoom better than fast prime ..or is it personal preference?

Flash is a creature all to its own, and there can be a big learning curve. Without the proper knowledge and technique,  shots will look artificial, or simply won't turn out.   I have found (likely based on my limited flahsability) that shots using flash require more post processing.  The trade-off, however, is that the shots turned out sharper.  Of course, I also have a manual flash as it was cheap, so your mileage might vary if you go with a TTL.
On some occasions I have preferred the shots I got with a flash,  others I preferred natural light and using a faster lens.    Since I have upgraded from a T3I to a 6D,  I  rarely use my flash as I can push the 6D to a much higher ISO, and I prefer the look of using the light that's there.    To me, it gives a feel that's more representative of the real mood and environment from which the shot was taken.   But again, that could just be my limited ability with a flash talking.

MolecularMan's gear list:MolecularMan's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow