Can I down Res on a Nikon d800 without changing the crop factor

Started Mar 20, 2017 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 16,332
Re: Can I down Res on a Nikon d800 without changing the crop factor

utihomes wrote:

I'm considering purchasing this camera for some wide angle use (14-16mm). I'll be shooting architecture & landscaping. If I changed the resolution down to Large (20MP) will this change my crop factor? Or in other words, will this change my field of view and make it not as wide?

I know I can always decrease the resolution in post afterward, but I will be emailing the RAW images to a friend that will be editing them for web display only; so I don't need the full 36MP. In fact, my concern is that the RAW images are over 75MB, and it takes too long to upload to the cloud.

I know I could get an APS-C camera, but I want the quality of full-frame; even if the final result is only web-display.

Will down-resing crop the field of view?

I strongly suspect that the D800 does not have down-rezzed RAW files. I believe the choices are uncompressed, lossless compressed and lossy compressed but they're all 36MP. And you can save either 12 bits or 14 bits. The smallest RAW file is then 12 bit lossy compressed, which is around 30MB.

There are whole bunches of JPG options, some of which are full-frame while others are cropped.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow