D500 SD card

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ScottnLaguna
ScottnLaguna Contributing Member • Posts: 724
Re: D500 SD card

Gary Prestash wrote:

Finally starting to set up my D500 - Wow! Many more options than my old D300 has! Question concerning the SD card choice. The deal I got when I bought my D500 included a 64GBSanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-1 card, with a speed of up to 95MB's/sec at no extra charge. I had purchased 2 Lexar 64GB Pro 2933X cards for the XQD slot and the free SD card was going into the SD slot as the overflow card. However, whenever I put the SD card into that slot, within a few seconds I get a blinking ERR and CARD message in the top LCD screen. Page 358 of the owner's manual says that this means that this card cannot be used - may be damaged - insert another card. I only have CF cards for my D300 but I dug into my wife's camera bag and found a few SD cards. I put a much older, slower SanDisk SD card into the D500 - and no error message appears. Is it as simple as the "free" SanDisk Extreme Pro card is bad, as it appears? What card do most folks recommend for the SD slot, assuming that it would only be used rarely as an overflow? I know that initially there were reports of problems with the Lexar cards. Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

Gary P

It will work fine without an SD card. I only use mine as video. I have 3 XQD 64gb Lexar 2933x cards and they are amazing to me. I have had a few rare times where the downloaded images were black or gray but not sure why. Maybe 10 out of 7000. Might be the Lexar card reader damaged in traveling. Do get a top quality San Disc with a High MB transfer number. Why put low octane in a ferrari?

ScottnLaguna's gear list:ScottnLaguna's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MK
MK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow