Does everybody here even know what HDR is ?!?!

Started Mar 21, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Fishchris
Fishchris Senior Member • Posts: 4,732
Does everybody here even know what HDR is ?!?!

So quite a while ago, I entered the long exposure HDR challenge, then basically forgot about. Today I stumbled upon past challenges, and saw that I had placed 37th for the LE HDR here;

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=11700&View=Results&Rows=4&Page=2

Now of course I understand that most photographers are somewhat biased towards their own work. I'm no different with this shot. In fact, I liked it so much, I actually had an aluminum print made of it, as an example of some of my favorite work.

Also, this shot consisted of 5 shots from 20 seconds, to 11 full minutes, of which much of the info from each of those shots was used, to produce the final product.

Now the thing is, if most of the people judging this shot just didn't like it (which apparently, they didn't) that's fine. But the thing that's really bugging me, is that many of the shots in this challenge, either were not HDR shots at all, OR didn't need to be, as the dynamic range just wasn't there. Several are straight up silhouettes, which "any" modern DSLR can make with one frame !

Some were actually very nice shots, which maybe for a "Best shot of the week" challenge should have done well. But again, could have easily been made from one shot. And in fact, if their were multiple frames taken, then the photographer decided to throw out all the info from the longer and shorter exposures, keeping only info from the middle shot..... and why ? To keep it natural ?

How do I type a loud fart sound ? 😞 I dunno'..... but when I read LE HDR, I was thinking.... uhhhh.... LE HDR ? Sorry, but that was just some lame judging.

PS, Out of the entire challenge, maybe the one shot I like better than my own, and also, a shot which clearly used multiple long exposures, was #13. COOL shot.

-- hide signature --

Photos are my paintings. The camera is my brush.
DPreview gallery; http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5075216809

Fishchris's gear list:Fishchris's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow