Issue with concentric rings on E-M1 Mark II (edited title)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Senior Member • Posts: 4,936
Re: Yes, let's not

Giiba wrote:

Astrotripper wrote:

What I do not expect is that I will be a beta tester..

I'd just like to point out that this is a long known trouble with shading compensation... you weren't beta testing this. Shading Comp works great for normal exposures but has been problematic for long exposures used in astrophotography; this goes back to at least the e-m5.1, perhaps further as SC is built into the original FT standard as well as the MFT one too. The feature can be turned off for this very reason.

Just because the use case is a fringe one and forum denizens didn't immediately know the cause doesn't mean this is a model flaw. It effects many Olympus cameras under very specific conditions.

I didn't even think of it as I have a myset configured for my astro shooting with this feature off, but otherwise leave it on all the time.

I'm glad the issue was solved as I have my eye on the 12/1.4 and would have been very sad if the lens was to blame.

Yes, I was told that shading compensation is the first thing to turn off (or keep off since it's default.) I don't even know what it is but I never turn it on, Olympus cameras are raft with settings you won't ever need.

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GBC
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow