Thom Hogan hints 50mp for upcoming D820/D850

Started Mar 19, 2017 | Discussions thread
OP Glen78 Senior Member • Posts: 1,411
Re: Thom Hogan hints 50mp for upcoming D820/D850

michaeladawson wrote:

havoc315 wrote:

Glen78 wrote:

This morning Thom posted that OSPDAF is not what he is referring to (nor is it a multi-layered CFA). He seems to think that OSPDAF does not make sense for F-mount for technical reasons which is consistent with what I have heard elsewhere.

Yes, saw more of his posts -- he definitely isn't referring to OSPDAF... I didn't see him say it is due to any technical limitation though. The only post I saw, he said he didn't think PDAF is useful on Nikon, since they are moving away from video.

But... they are being forced to move away from video, due to the lack of PDAF. And it ignores that OSPDAF isn't just useful for video - he ignores the fact that some people, some times, actually want to use the LCD for still photography as well.

Yeah. Thom's comment really doesn't make a lot of sense. If Nikon isn't rapidly developing their on-sensor PDAF capabilities then what does that say about any mirrorless development. OSPDAF absolutely isn't just useful for video.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

I think he is specifically referring to the D810 successor and not necessarily saying he does not think OSPDAF will not be used in another mirrorless product.

Glen78's gear list:Glen78's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow