Thom Hogan hints 50mp for upcoming D820/D850

Started Mar 19, 2017 | Discussions thread
OP Glen78 Senior Member • Posts: 1,411
Re: Thom Hogan hints 50mp for upcoming D820/D850

inlawbiker wrote:

Glen78 wrote:

In this same discussion thread Thom also mentions "I believe Nikon has one really big surprise coming, sensor-wise". 50mp does not really sound like a big surprise to me so he must be referring to something else.

It would seem logical to me that Nikon get out from under Sony's thumb with regard to sourcing their sensors. Nikon does make their own sensors too, they're just reserved for the "good stuff."

Perhaps using the D5 sensor in everything FX. This would solve the Sony problem for sure, and possibly reduce the overlap they have in models.

So what would be a big surprise from Nikon? Maybe buying Samsung's camera division? That would give Nikon a huge jump in mirrorless tech. Others are finally catching up to the NX1, two years later.

Maybe a Nikon sensor with super-fast mirrorless AF. They managed it with the "1" cameras but it never seemed to go anywhere after that.

Greg.

If I were to pick a current Nikon full frame sensor that would be used in every full frame body the D5 sensor would be at the bottom of my list. Probably a toss up between D810 and D750 although if we were forced to choose I would go for the D810.

Glen78's gear list:Glen78's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow