Started 4 days ago | Photos thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
zuikowesty
zuikowesty Senior Member • Posts: 2,853
Re: Bit of Roller Derby

Ken Croft wrote:

Martin.au wrote:

Ken Croft wrote:

Interesting images but please educate an ex-pat brit living in France where this "sport" seems not to exist. What actually is a Roller Derby? Is it just some kind of roller skating race around a track, or is some physical violence involved?

Ken C

Rules are quite complex.

Roller derby is a contact sport played by two teams of five members roller skatingin the same direction (counter-clockwise) around a track. Game play consists of a series of short match ups (jams) in which both teams designate a jammer who scores points by lapping members of the opposing team. The teams attempt to hinder the opposing jammer while assisting their own jammer—in effect, playing both offense and defense simultaneously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_derbya

It's played in France, but you may have to keep an eye out for it.

Thanks Martin. I did look it up on wiki and the rules make cricket or even rugby seem very simple. I wonder how much of the attraction is that it seems to be an activity for the fairer sex! Where I live the only sport is rugby. I was forced to play rugby at school and as a result I detest it along with most sports.

Ken C

Glad to see I am not the only one with that experience of rugby! I attended a English style boarding school in Canada where rugby was (and still is) mandatory. A horrible way to destroy the sport for those of us who prefer non-violent pursuits. I have many friends who played at a high level, and the one common link is they all have bad knees now...

I've actually learned to appreciate the sport as I got older (I returned to work at the same school, and am still there 19 years later...), but still don't agree with forcing kids to play a contact sport. A sport, yes, but give them a choice. I wouldn't have chosen Roller Derby either... although I did choose Lacrosse for a while, until I realized how violent it gets when kids get bigger.

Some great shots here Martin - Roller Derby is definitely entertaining to watch!

zuikowesty's gear list:zuikowesty's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus Stylus Tough 3000 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow