Move to A7RII or stick with 5D Mk III?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
kelstertx Senior Member • Posts: 2,936
Re: Move to A7RII or stick with 5D Mk III?

molleredu wrote:

Some appealing factors are the reduction in weight/size*, higher dr + megapixels, in-built apps that can replicate filters, in-built IS, focus peaking.

Don't get too excited about the apps. Many of them slow the interface WAY down, and it's a freaking nightmare to get any of them purchased - transfers to Sony's wallet from credit card and Paypal are both broken on the site, and have been for years. Gift certificates purchased online are the only way to load the wallet to buy any apps (I just learned recently from other users, no help from Sony's cryptic site). You can't simply buy them from the camera and install them over WiFi like the camera is designed to do. Nor can you simply buy it online and then pick it up over WiFi from the My Apps folder in the camera. The camera has to be physically hooked to a computer with USB to transfer it, which means only certain browsers in certain OSes work. At least one supported combo completely failed for me with no info on why. Not even an error dialog.

I started trying to buy the Smooth Reflection app for $4.99 on the last day of vacation, and finally got it purchased a week after I got back from vacation. I won't have a chance to try it for a long while. I think I'll still take an ND filter with me and just do it the old way most likely, just in case the app is annoyingly slow.

Now focus zoom and peaking? That's worth getting excited about!

-Kelly

kelstertx's gear list:kelstertx's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow