Thom Hogan hints 50mp for upcoming D820/D850

Started Mar 19, 2017 | Discussions thread
Tony Beach Forum Pro • Posts: 10,479
Re: Thom Hogan hints 50mp for upcoming D820/D850

dylanear wrote:

inlawbiker wrote:

Glen78 wrote:

In this same discussion thread Thom also mentions "I believe Nikon has one really big surprise coming, sensor-wise". 50mp does not really sound like a big surprise to me so he must be referring to something else.

It would seem logical to me that Nikon get out from under Sony's thumb with regard to sourcing their sensors. Nikon does make their own sensors too, they're just reserved for the "good stuff."

Perhaps using the D5 sensor in everything FX. This would solve the Sony problem for sure, and possibly reduce the overlap they have in models.

So what would be a big surprise from Nikon? Maybe buying Samsung's camera division? That would give Nikon a huge jump in mirrorless tech. Others are finally catching up to the NX1, two years later.

Maybe a Nikon sensor with super-fast mirrorless AF. They managed it with the "1" cameras but it never seemed to go anywhere after that.

Pretty sure if Nikon and Samsung get tangled up it's Nikon who's getting bought, not the other way around. But that's not going to happen. Nikon may not be making money hand over fist, but they are FAR from going bankrupt or needing another company's funding to survive.

Nikon may be somewhat dependent on Sony sensors, but far from entirely, they can get decent sensor elsewhere. And Sony in turn is dependent on Nikon steppers to make it's sensors to one degree or another as I understand it. So perhaps more than any other camera maker, Nikon is in a good position to not suffer from Sony sensor dependency without recourse.

Nikon says they find the best sensor for the camera, which makes putting the D5 sensor in every camera ludicrous on its face. Anyway, the relationship between Sony Semiconductor and Nikon is symbiotic -- Nikon typically absorbs the lion's share of R&D by virtue of being the biggest customer, which is good for Sony Imaging too -- and Nikon gets a very good sensor -- it's win, win.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow