FZ1000 - from closed bag to LCD view in about 5 seconds

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 10,572
FZ1000 - from closed bag to LCD view in about 5 seconds

7mm spacer ring on front. Home-made wrist strap with adjusting slider.

Right hand lifts camera, thumb switches camera on as it leaves bag.

Old Hama (or fake Hama?) bag bought used on Ebay for under £10. Typical "nose" shape bag.

Critical component - fast, silent side-release buckle.

"Nose" unpicked, flattened and glued to remove "nose" and provide square bag.

Velcro patch under flap not wanted - removed one side, glued denim over other side.

Small pad inserted to support lens barrel when FZ1000 is sideways.

The finished bag, square shape to take FZ1000 sideways.

Like this.

Using only my right hand, it takes me about 5 seconds to open the bag, to withdraw the FZ1000 while switching it on and to get the view on the LCD. A bit longer if I want to put the strap on my wrist properly and to adjust the slider, but that is not needed for shooting.

Using both hands it is easier and faster because the left hand opens the side-release buckle, opens the lid and steadies the bag.

The bag with strap and pad weighs 253g (8.9 oz). Many "posh" bags weigh twice as much or more.

The bag has a tag inside saying "X0728889 - made in China". I phoned Hama and spoke to several people but could get no information on this bag. I bought this one used on Ebay based on seller's statement that, when upright, it measured 160mm long x 110mm wide x 160mm deep, internally.

I never use a lens hood, so that does not get in my way. The 7mm spacer ring gives the lens some protection, and I leave off my lens cap when expecting action. I dumped the Lumix lens cap for a much better-designed one, as I wrote here at length recently.

I also have a similar rig for my FZ330, using a smaller old Hama case which is square-shaped and did not need to be modified.

Comments welcome!

Mike

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow