GX8 + 100-400mm Boston Birds, Boats, and Boarders (10 picts)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mrxak Regular Member • Posts: 218
GX8 + 100-400mm Boston Birds, Boats, and Boarders (10 picts)

So the weather finally got nice enough here to shoot with my new 100-400mm. I figured there'd be seagulls flying around down by the Boston Harbor, and they'd make nice big targets to snap some BIF photos. I went on down to the Long Wharf, which is a big historical wharf with a great panoramic view of the whole inner harbor basically, as well as downtown Boston, Logan Airport.

Well, the birds didn't really cooperate, and seemed pretty much content to stand on top of light poles and not go anywhere, so I made the best of it and got what shots I could. My guess is earlier in the morning or later in the evening they'll be more active. Oh well. I also shot some boats on the water, and some planes flying into Logan Airport across the harbor. Unfortunately when I got home I saw that there was a lot of atmospheric distortion on many of the shots over the water, so only a couple shots are worth showing.

These are JPEGs straight out of the camera, so I haven't done anything fancy here. I haven't even looked at the RAWs yet, nothing is cropped or altered in any way. There's been a lot of talk about the 100-400mm lately, and I figured I'd provide a few more examples of what this monster can do.

The hero shot. I like the detail around the beak and eye especially.

It was a bit windy as you can see, and the seagull was periodically preening. The sun was very bright and I should have stopped down a bit for more DoF, but on the nearer wing feathers you can see some great detail.

I got a lot more detail on the wing here.

Normally I wouldn't show off a picture of a bird where the head isn't in focus, but I'm really happy with the feather details.

This is actually a different seagull, taken a bit later. This time with the sun on my right side instead of my left. I was shooting burst and this is one of the few shots where his neck feathers were blowing up like that. Again, I regret not stopping down a bit for more DoF.

I'll do the next five photos in another post, so this doesn't take too long to load...

mrxak's gear list:mrxak's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +8 more
Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow