Mixed feeling about my copy of PL25mm... Need replacement?

Started 3 days ago | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tariag
Tariag Contributing Member • Posts: 810
Mixed feeling about my copy of PL25mm... Need replacement?

Hi all,

I use a lot my PL25mm (it my permanent lens on GX8). I like its FL, rendering is excellent (sharpness, contrast), aperture is a good compromise (it's fast without being too big)...

But I'm a little bothered when I handle it for 2 reasons: the focus ring is very loose (compared to any other lens I own). And it tends to make more and more noise (a little from AF and a lot from the blades), even on my Panasonic bodies. I don't remember those drawbacks when it was new... So either I'm getting picky, either it's getting old. I shouldn't complain as IQ is still flawless but it makes my shooting experience less enjoyable.

So I wanted to ask you some advice:

-Should I send it to repair? (would Panasonic make the ring firmer and the blades silent for a reasonable cost?)

-Should I buy another, new copy of the same? (but I don't want to have the same issues if it's supposed to be "normal"). Are there rumors of a new version for that lens to be soon released maybe?

-Should I get another lens? But which one? I can't afford the Oly 25mm f/1.2. The Sigma 30mm f/1.4? Couldn't find a lot of info about it beside Lenstip's review who loved it... Downgrade to 25mm f/1.7? (half a stop doesn't make a big difference)
Or get a 12-35 f/2.8 (slower but more versatile)?

Tariag's gear list:Tariag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony Alpha 7 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow