X30 from B&H Photo - I was sold an open-box item as new

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
afwares Forum Member • Posts: 74
X30 from B&H Photo - I was sold an open-box item as new

Hi all,

I just received my Fuji X30 from B&H Photo and I've definitely been sold a previously-used camera, and am looking for feedback.

Yes, I'm quite aware that the X30 has been discontinued, and as I mentioned on another thread I was surprised to see one pop up on B&H Photo last week.  I already own an X30, we use it for our online business, and I wanted a backup so I jumped on it and ordered it.  And yes, I did contact B&H before placing the order, and was assured it was a brand new, sealed item, not an open-box return or anything of that nature.

Upon receiving it this morning, I noticed some small scratch marks on the battery, and heavy wear on the box.   None of which, of course, necessarily indicate previous ownership.  And the camera did immediately go to the setup screen, as it should.  Unfortunately, whomever at B&H handled the return of this camera, while remembering to reset the settings, forgot to clear the internal memory.   So I discovered photos of the previous buyer's fish tank, son, and a nice photo of his wife sitting in the bathroom.    So it's not just speculation that the camera was returned - I have a photo of his wife on the commode (still dressed, fortunately) as verification.

I have not contacted B&H yet, but obviously will.  I decided to take a few minutes, collect my thoughts, make sure I didn't over-react, and think through this situation.

On the one hand, the camera looks to be in mint condition.  On the other, I can't shake the anxiety that it was returned for a reason...some software or mechanical fault that I won't discover until the return period has passed and then I'll feel foolish for not returning it.

Additionally, I feel on principle that B&H shouldn't be rewarded, and that a return is the only outcome that sends a message that this type of thing isn't right.

Still, I'm taking a few minutes and thinking through what I want to say when I contact them, and thought I'd ask the group for feedback on how they'd handle it if they were in my shoes.  Thanks in advance.

afwares's gear list:afwares's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Pentax K100D Fujifilm X-T20 Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +2 more
Fujifilm X30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow