What is unique about vacation/travel photography?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
yardcoyote Senior Member • Posts: 7,513
What is unique about vacation/travel photography?

Periodically a thread comes up here about photography gear for vacations and travel.  I wonder if we could discuss the topic in general.  Is there something unique about vacation and travel photography that requires different gear or a different approach to gear?

I see a lot of vacation and travel images and they seem to fall into four categories. 1) Landscapes and "scenery": mountains, beaches, volcanoes, seacapes, etc.  2) Architecture, monuments, famous human made "sights" cityscapes. 3) Street and street style: local markets, festivals, street scenes, people at work and going about their business.  4) Any other kind of photography, just done away from home: garden macro, sports, pictures of the kids and grandkids. etc. etc.

Do you take different kinds of photographs when you travel than you do at home?  Do you, for example, only shoot landscape when on vacation?  Or is the concern with gear for travel simply a matter of light weight and easy packablilty?

(For the record, while I like to travel and do a lot of photography when I  do, I take exactly the same kind of pictures I do at home and use the same cameras and lenses. Travel to me means new subjects, not a new type of photography.)

Thanks for any insights you might want to share.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T10 +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow