defective EM5II - what next?

Started 3 days ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gollux
gollux New Member • Posts: 10
defective EM5II - what next?

I ordered an EM5II in the last Olympus Outlet sale, and it arrived on Friday. Within 10 minutes of using it, the camera became completely unresponsive. I recharged the battery in case that was the problem, and still nothing. I came back to it a couple days later, and the EVF would come on but not the LCD screen. I called Olympus support, and they told me that they would repair the unit if I shipped it to them at my own expense. I asked for a prepaid shipping label, but they told me that that's something they don't offer - apparently even when they send out a unit that's dead on arrival.

I see that other people have had trouble with the EM5II LCD screen. I'm wondering two things:

1) Has anyone been able to get a prepaid shipping label from Olympus? (I've been a loyal Olympus owner for years, but I find their refusal to take responsibility for this issue pretty galling.)

2) If I do get my defective EM5II repaired, what's the likelihood that the screen would fail again in a few months? (Because I split my time between the US and Australia, I'm worried about being caught in the wrong country to receive warranty support - which is only 90 days anyway.)

The EM5II suits my needs, but this debacle has made me wonder whether I should just return it and go with something else - like the Panasonic GX85 or the EM10II (assuming that's more reliable than the EM5II). Any advice?

gollux's gear list:gollux's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow