Thom Hogan hints 50mp for upcoming D820/D850

Started Mar 19, 2017 | Discussions thread
ohmoose New Member • Posts: 16
Re: Thom Hogan hints 50mp for upcoming D820/D850

Tony Beach wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

I'm not sure it's a question of upsetting landscape and architecture shooters. Putting in a 36x36mm sensor would almost certainly change the mirror and mirror box size. Been a long time since I've seen this discussed but I'm not sure the F mount would work with a deeper mirror box.

Exactly right I think. It would have to be a mirrorless camera. No reason for Nikon not to make a mirrorless camera that does that, and that could well be made appealing to landscape/architectural photographers.

I would also add that it's a little too simplistic to think that FX lenses will necessarily cover 36x36mm without a bit of corner vignetting with some lenses. Take a 24x36mm rectangle. Draw a circle to exactly fit the rectangle. Now draw a 36x36mm rectangle. Does it fit in that circle?

Good point. The PC-E lenses wouldn't be an issue, with some lenses you can stop them down lenses to mitigate that, some other lenses will never see it, and some lenses will behave differently based on the focusing distance. Nikon would almost certainly need some wide angle lens updates with such a format, and it would almost amount to being another mount. Indeed, I think it makes sense to shorten the flange distance and include an adapter as well as allow other manufacturers to access the camera's IP (not sure I'm using IP correctly here, so feel free to correct me). It would be bold and literally out-of-the-box thinking.

Yes different sensor ratio would surely make it a mirrorless camera. Square sensor would be quite a bit more expensive and the draw circle would be a limiting factor with most lenses, but for example 4:3 ratio sensor that would fit inside the same circle as 3:2 sensor would have about 4% larger area.

Slightly larger multi ratio sensor would give the best of both worlds and you could use the whole sensor with lenses that would allow it. And it wouldn't crop the FOV with 3:2 or 16:9 ratios.

Here's an example of multi ratio OS sensor. It would have about 13% larger area than a 3:2 FF-sensor. Draw circle overlap would be about 1.3mm

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow