Lighting books on a copy stand

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PaperSnapper New Member • Posts: 9
Lighting books on a copy stand

Hello,

I am involved in digitizing a collection of books for archival purposes at a university. We have been using an old Bookeye 3 overhead scanner, but it has been acting up and so, given its age, we are looking into alternatives. We already have a copy stand, DSLR camera, and a couple of lenses that we are considering using with a book cradle that has a fold-down glass plate to hold the books open and flat. Based on test shots we have taken, we are seeing really uneven lighting. At the moment we just have the ambient fluorescent room light to work with. Unfortunately we don't have the option to move the copy stand into a dark room, although we might be able to dim the lights in the room where it is now.

I know that copy stands typically involve lights on either side of the object at 45-degree angles. But the range of lights available on photo supply websites is a bit overwhelming. A sales rep for one online retailer suggested I should look for lights with at least a 300W tungsten-equivalent output. He suggested a pair of fluorescent lights made by Kaiser that clamp onto the base of the copy stand. They look fine, but might be a bit outside our budget. Any advice on what to look for, what to avoid, things to consider, etc., for this application would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Cliff Harrison

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow